I can’t precisely keep in mind the place I first realized learn how to make envelope pillow covers. But it surely concerned chopping three separate items of material, stitching all types of seams and making certain all the things lined up simply so. It might take a variety of time, endurance and focus. One of many hardest issues for me has at all times been chopping my seams straight. How about you? (Trace: discover your straight edge and line it up with the sting of a sq. desk or counter.)
My model right here has you making minimal cuts and is really easy and fast to finish. Nobody will ever know you probably did it a budget method.
Particularly in case you use the fitting pillow insert. That’s the key. That’s actually the important thing with all pillows – the insert simply elevates it utterly.
So, I had this tremendous smooth chambray cloth that I picked up on a whim. I noticed it on Amazon and thought, that’s a superb value and I just like the delicate texture and the beautiful blue colour. So I purchased it. And it sat right here simply watching me. I lastly determined I might make some diy pillow covers with it.
To present the pillow some extra character, I additionally added some cute rope tassels to the corners. And naturally I stuffed it with a pleasant fluffy down insert.
Right here’s the way you do it …
- Stitching Machine and thread of your selection
- Elective : Rope for tassels (don’t snort however all I had was cotton butcher’s twine. And yep it labored like a appeal. )
- Pillow Insert
Tutorial for Fast and Simple DIY Pillow Covers
I made a helpful little diagram that will help you visualize how to do that. In case you are making a distinct measurement pillow, simply make the required changes. The components for the size of material wanted is included under.
- Begin by washing and ironing your cloth. The material will lay flatter after ironing and you may lower as straight as doable. You gained’t be making that many cuts however having all the things good and straight makes the method a lot simpler.
- Decide the scale of your pillow insert. For this tutorial, I used a 20 inch sq. insert. So I wished my completed pillow cowl to even be 20 inches. (I like my covers good and comfortable!) To find out the size of your cloth, take your pillow measurement X 2 and add Eight inches. Instance : 20 inch cowl x 2 = 40 inches + 8 = 48 inches. That ensures a pleasant overlap within the again.
- So, as you possibly can see from the diagram above – you will lower ONE LONG PIECE that’s 20 inches broad by 48 inches lengthy. Make sense?
- I sewed a double hem alongside the 2 sides of the lengthy piece of material. I didn’t actually measure – you possibly can sew a 1/4 ” or 1/2 ” or no matter. In the event you iron your seam down, it’s a lot simpler to stitch. You don’t have to do sew the double hem, nevertheless it simply makes it extra completed and the overlap cloth gained’t unravel on you continually.
- Preserve your heart portion at 20 inches or regardless of the measurement of your pillow insert is. FOLD the left and proper sides in to line up with the middle (proper sides going through one another). You need to have a neat 20 inch sq.. The material within the again will overlap properly.
- Now simply sew the 2 open sides shut and you might be completed.
- Flip the pillow proper aspect out and insert your pillow cowl. Really easy!
You’ll not have any seams on two sides however in case you use a pleasant pillow insert, it gained’t make any distinction.
Attaching Tassels to your Pillow
I made 4 cute little rope tassels for every of the corners. I really like the way it provides it a impartial, type of beachy look.
To make the tassels, observe the steps on this tutorial. I wished my tassels brief and stubby so I used just a bit piece of cardboard and wound it round about 15 instances.
PS: This won’t be the “proper” approach to connect tassels, however that is how I did it.
- I flipped the quilt inside out and snipped every nook a bit of tiny bit so there was a bit of gap in every nook.
- Then, I took the 2 threads from the highest of every tassel and poked them by the holes (the precise tassel will probably be on the within.)
- Lastly, I sewed the opening shut whereas additionally securing the tassel threads to it. It’s a scorching mess on the within however while you flip it proper aspect out the tassels hang around of every nook so good and neat! You actually can’t inform in any respect.
I believe it turned out actually, actually cute. And this cowl was created from ONE SINGLE PIECE of material. And with actually solely Four straight seams to stitch! Sensible!
Don’t neglect to get a pleasant insert. I actually love Crate and Barrel’s inserts and they don’t seem to be too costly.
Do you know you possibly can wash down inserts?
You possibly can!
Right here’s how I do it:
- I wash two feather inserts at a time (to stability the washer). Heat water, further rinse cycle and excessive spin velocity.
- Dry them on low warmth (to keep away from shrinkage) with a couple of clear tennis balls to assist fluff them up.
What do you guys suppose?
I hope you guys loved this tutorial for fast diy pillow covers.
Let me know you probably have any questions within the feedback.
Thanks a lot for studying and visiting with me as we speak,